Jesus is the Son of God. How do we know this? Evidence has been clearly presented in the Book of John. John gives testimony: "I have seen and testify that this is the Son of God" (John 1:34); "This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true." (John 21:24).
Is Jesus Real? Just Who Is This “Jesus”?
JESUS SAID HIMSELF…
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will NEVER walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
“You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.” (John 8:23)
“If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own, but he sent me.” (John 8:42)
And to me, this verse is one that pulls on my heart…”I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!” (John 9:58)
Luke 1:26-56 gives us the beautiful picture of the promise of the Messiah’s birth. God sent the angel, Gabriel, to announce this promise to a virgin named Mary. For nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37). Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, a descendant of David.
Scripture doesn’t tell us too much about Jesus’ childhood. It tells us of his birth and when he was 12 years old, his parents, Mary and Joseph, found Jesus in the temple courts sitting among the teachers (Luke 2:41-46). Then we know when Jesus was about 30 years old, he began his ministry (Luke 3:23).
John Is A Witness...
There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
- Genealogy of Jesus. Matthew 1 and Luke 3
- Jesus had four younger brothers. – James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas. He had more than one sister (Matthew 13:55-56 and Mark 6:3).
- Jesus was fully God. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning” (John 1:1-2).
- Jesus was fully human. “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14).
- Jesus is the Son of God. How do we know this? Evidence has been clearly presented in the Book of John. John gives testimony: “I have seen and testify that this is the Son of God” (John 1:34); “This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.” (John 21:24). Jesus said “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid. You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth.” (John 5:31-33)
- Jesus was without sin. Yes, he was tempted by Satan (Luke 4:1-13, Matthew 4:1-11), but Jesus never sinned. Jesus was the perfect man and is the perfect sacrifice so that all that believe in him will be saved.
Lee Strobel - The Case for Christ (available on Netflix)
Lee Strobel was an atheist who set out to prove that Jesus was not real. But through his research, he found historical facts to prove otherwise. He says “consider the 4 “E”s…
- Execution – There is no dispute that many scholars believe that Jesus died.
- Early Reports – There are early reports that demonstrate the creed too early for legend to corrupt. 1 Corinthians 15
- Empty Tomb – Archeological evidence and even the enemies admitted the tomb was empty.
- Eye Witnesses – Jesus appeared to more than 500 people; skeptics, believers, followers, unbelievers over a period of time.